The UOAH Lexicon
Below is a collection of Common Phrases,
Not So Common Phrases, and
Famous Quotes. Peruse as is, or simply
choose a language with the Google Translate Tool in the header above,
and start learning. You can easily switch between languages.
Once activated, the toolbar will stay at the top as you scroll.
You can also find more phrases, more languages, and audio examples with
try out your own phrases with
work on various language vocabularies with FreeRice,
or study another language with Duolingo.
Do you know... Do you speak... I know... I speak... I don't speak...
English. French. Spanish (Castilian). German. Italian. Mandarin. Hindi-Urdu (Hindustani). Arabic. Bengali. Portuguese. Russian. Japanese. Punjabi. Javanese. Wu (Shanghainese). Telugu. Vietnamese. Marathi. Korean. Tamil. Yue (Cantonese). Turkish. Pashto. Min Nan (Taiwanese). Gujarati. Polish. Persian. Bhojpuri. Awadhi. Ukrainian. Malay. Xiang (Hunanese). Malayalam. Kannada. Maithili. Sudanese. Burmese. Oriya. Marwari. Hakka.
Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? Which?
One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen.
Fourteen. Fifteen. Sixteen. Seventeen. Eighteen. Nineteen. Twenty. Twenty-one. Twenty-two. Twenty-three.
Greetings and Salutations:
Hi. Hello. My name is... Nice to meet you. Good Morning. Good Day. Good Afternoon. Good Evening. Good Night. Peace. See you later. See you soon. Take care. Cheers. Later. Bye. Goodbye.
How are you? What is your name? How do I say...? How do I find...? What time is it? How much does it cost? Can you help me? Where is the bathroom? Where is the closest hospital? Which way to the bus station, train station, or airport?
Yes. No. Maybe. Please. Thanks. Thank you. You're Welcome. Great. Good. Fine. So-so. Bad. Awful. Excuse me. Sorry. I need a taxi, bus, train, plane, or a ride. I need a doctor. I need help. Please help me. I would like... I don't know. I like... I love... I am lost. I am hungry. I am from...
- We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.
Robert F. Kennedy
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
- There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.
- A good traveler has no fixed plans.
- Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.
- For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
- Knowledge is power.
Sir Francis Bacon
- It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.
- You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
- Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.
- Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
John F. Kennedy
- There is nothing impossible to those willing to try.
Alexander the Great
- United we stand, divided we fall.
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- I have found the missing link between the higher ape and civilized man; it is we.
- It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
- If we could have one generation of properly born, trained, educated and healthy children, a thousand problems of government would vanish.
- Ninety percent of the game is half mental.
- The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future in life.
- The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever.
- If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
- Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.
John F. Kennedy
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
- You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
- We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.
- One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
- Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.
- Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
- When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
- If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.
- Thou shouldst eat to live; not live to eat.
- Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.
- If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
- An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
- If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
- There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.
- It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
(Hover your cursor below any quote to reveal its source.)
Test you knowledge and find more quotes in
FreeRice's Famous Quotes Section.