The UOAH Lexicon
Below is a collection of Common Phrases,
Not So Common Phrases, and
Famous Quotes. Peruse as is, or simply
choose a language with the Google Translate Tool in the header above,
and start learning. You can easily switch between languages.
Once activated, the toolbar will stay at the top as you scroll.
You can also find more phrases, more languages, and audio examples at
or try out your own phrases with
Do you know... Do you speak... I know... I speak... I don't speak...
English. French. Spanish (Castilian). German. Italian. Mandarin. Hindi-Urdu (Hindustani). Arabic. Bengali. Portuguese. Russian. Japanese. Punjabi. Javanese. Wu (Shanghainese). Telugu. Vietnamese. Marathi. Korean. Tamil. Yue (Cantonese). Turkish. Pashto. Min Nan (Taiwanese). Gujarati. Polish. Persian. Bhojpuri. Awadhi. Ukrainian. Malay. Xiang (Hunanese). Malayalam. Kannada. Maithili. Sudanese. Burmese. Oriya. Marwari. Hakka.
Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? Which?
One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen.
Fourteen. Fifteen. Sixteen. Seventeen. Eighteen. Nineteen. Twenty. Twenty-one. Twenty-two. Twenty-three.
Greetings and Salutations:
Hi. Hello. My name is... Nice to meet you. Good Morning. Good Day. Good Afternoon. Good Evening. Good Night. Peace. See you later. See you soon. Take care. Cheers. Later. Bye. Goodbye.
How are you? What is your name? How do I say... How do I find... What time is it? How much does it cost? Can you help me? Where is the bathroom? Where is the closest hospital? Which way to the bus station, train station, or airport?
Yes. No. Maybe. Please. Thanks. Thank you. You're Welcome. Great. Good. Fine. So-so. Bad. Awful. Excuse me. Sorry. I need a taxi, bus, train, plane, or a ride. I need a doctor. I need help. Please help me. I would like... I don't know. I like... I love... I am lost. I am hungry. I am from...
- We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.
Robert F. Kennedy
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
- A good traveler has no fixed plans.
- Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.
- For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
- Knowledge is power.
Sir Francis Bacon
- You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
- There is nothing impossible to those willing to try.
Alexander the Great
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- If we could have one generation of properly born, trained, educated and healthy children, a thousand problems of government would vanish.
- Ninety percent of the game is half mental.
- If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
- Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.
John F. Kennedy
- An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
- One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
- Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.
- Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
- When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
- Thou shouldst eat to live; not live to eat.
- If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
- There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.
- It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
(Hover your cursor below any quote to reveal its source.)
Test you knowledge and find more quotes in
FreeRice's Famous Quotes Section.